Wednesday, March 5

calendar in my head

So, I have calendar in my head. We all sort of do. But some of you may not actually visualize it. I thought every one had a version of what I had in my head. But after asking several of you...you don't. Bummer. I realized this oddity one day when my mom and my aunts (her sisters) we talking about this. They all have a calendar in their head too. Is the suspense killing you to know what the heck I am talking about? :) When someone asks me, "What are you doing next Tuesday?" I go to this place in mind. It's a floating circular walking path. The path resembles the Candy Land game. The days are each their own square (maybe 3 ft by 3 ft). I move a square a day. Sometimes I get more specific. Like if there is a busy day, I see it in hours and walk those. (I have been at Lock-ins with my youth group or school and when I know it's midnight I actually picture myself stepping to the next day. I don't consciously do it otherwise. I am just there the next day). My calendar path is color coded by seasons. There are darker, bolder lines at the end of the weeks and also the end of the year (even though I continue on the same circle each year). January and February are purple I guess kind of like winter. Then as March and April comes it fades into green. The summer (starting to fade in May) is yellow and as fall approaches it is orange and some browns toward November. I stand on this path and walk it each day. I can see the whole thing from where ever I am standing on it. I walk counter clockwise. If you ask me about the fall or someone tells me their babies due date...I look across to my left to see where that would be on my calendar. If they ask about next week I look ahead to that week. When I have events coming up (that I have remembered...that being my biggest problem these days!) that day has "something" there that marks it. More like a feeling than a flag or writing. And when I get busy or am on vacation and don't think about my calendar at large...then I will one day realise I have moved several squares and not known/acknowledged it and genuinely think, "Wow! It's already Friday" or whatever.
Is this the weirdest thing to you?? You probably think this lack of sleep has gone to my head!!! Hahaha. I know this sounds so crazy but it's true. And it's always been this way.(btw...My moms is not as colorful but still odd. Hers are calendar pages but in a funky order/layout in her head. I can't remember my aunts calendars). But I wanted to write this down so that if my kids one day have a calendar in their heads...they will know where it came from. And I would love to know if you have one too!!!

13 comments:

TDavis said...

OK, that is hilarious the detail you put into your mental calendar. I do not have a calendar in my head but I read a blog once about someone's visualization of time and it being the same as their sister's so you're not alone!

Sara said...

That is so weird! (Not that you're weird-but the concept of having a 'candyland board' in your head!) I read your blog to Zach and he says that he visualizes a real calendar, but nothing like what you experience! I wish I had something that could remind me of things! I guess that part of my brain is just empty!!

Jessica said...

I have a "mental calendar" too...but nothing fancy and complicated like yours! It's just a visual picture of my physical datebook..and I can "flip" the pages in my mind and actually have a "visual finger" that moves down the page to whatever day I need to look at. I am a visual person and can remember most anything visually. wow, you're never going to forget appointments, field trips, playdates, etc!

ps...i love your entries! they're always interesting and fun to read :)

Burless Family said...

Wow...you have a very detailed mental calendar...down to the colors! I have a little mental calendar, similiar to the calendar hanging on our wall. No colors here :-) Very interesting!!

Anonymous said...

What?!?! That is so funny! I can't even remember my name some days, let alone have a running color coded calendar in my head. You're very talented! I think between being a mother of a two year old, pregnant and a teacher to 20 five years every day I have fried all my brain cells...but I do remember your Sesame Street calendar in High School and it was pretty detailed! :)

Britters

Anonymous said...

What?!?! That is so funny! I can't even remember my name some days, let alone have a running color coded calendar in my head. You're very talented! I think between being a mother of a two year old, pregnant and a teacher to 20 five years every day I have fried all my brain cells...but I do remember your Sesame Street calendar in High School and it was pretty detailed! :)

Britters

sonyagraykey said...

I don't think I have ever heard anyone describe this in such detail. I wonder if my hubby thinks this way. I basically think about one day at a time, but have "in mind" the week ahead. You are one organized mom...and yet, not so anal. Impressive. :)

Will said...

Melanie, this is Will from Birmingham. I read your blog from time to time to keep up with you and Dan - and just had to ask if you remember back about 3 years ago when we had this exact same conversation??!? You and I had similar 'calendars in our head' but Dan was like "What??!"

Micah, Amy & Nicolae said...

i have no idea what you're talking about :)

khovater said...

I have one too but no where near as detailed as yours. Mine is a black and white. It is a circle but not 3 demensional. It does not focus on each day but on the significant days out of the year like Steven's graduation. It is is located on the right side of the circle if you are looking at it like you would on a table. It rotates in a counter clock rotation. That's about it. I am impressed that you can remember what you have going from day to day.

Lark said...

Wouldn't it be easier to get a daytimer? :o)

Paul & Julie said...

You are totally not weird! We are the normal ones...maybe. So my calendar is an oval & I usually stand on the winter months to look around the whole thing. The winter months are darker & the summer is bright & takes up more space...I think b/c summer felt so long growing up having a couple months of vacation. Or maybe wishful thinking for more summer. I won't go into more detail. But I know what you mean.
loveya, jules

Anonymous said...

'L' Says: I have a calendar in my head too! My year has every month going in a line, a little diaganal, going down. January is at the top and December at the bottom. I dont know how you get from December to January though...it must be a long walk. Then, my weeks are squares next to eachother. They are all the same height, but are different widths. Saturday is very thick, and Sunday is a little thinner than Saturday. Monday is normal, Tuesday is thick, Wednesday is normal, Thursday and Friday are thinner. For the day, I have a circle. If you play MySims for DS, it's kind of like the clock they have shown on the top screen. On the far left of the circle, it's morning--it starts at around 6:30/7:00. It is VERY bright and yellow around morning, then it becomes orange, and toward the end of the day (the far right it around 8:00) it becomes light purple, then a dark purple at around 8. My centuries are like timelines, with a marker for each one (ie: 1700, 1800, 1900, 2000). I dont go back that far in centuries, except in the 1400s. whenever i think of the 1400s I see it way before the 1700 marker. But when it comes to 1500 and 1600, i'm pretty much lost. I am seeing the whole centuries from a viewpoint, NOT where I am in time. I'm looking straight at it, and to my right I see where I am, a little after the 2000 marker.
when i am looking at the days of a month, it looks like a calander month, one after another.
i'm glad you have one too, and i'm not crazy. :-D