Saturday, January 17

Zumba

As most of you know...I love to dance. Though, as a mom of 2 and approaching 30 there are not many opportunites for me to dance. At Publix? no. At the playground? no. At the pediatricians office? no. At MOPS? nah. In the car? yes, in my seat...I do that often. Ask Daisy. But I can't count that. I do also break it down in the kitchen while fixin' lunch or dinner since I got an iPod dock from Dan for Christmas! (Thanks babe! I love it!!!) But it's not enough. I don't mean I want to take classes and learn to tap dance. I also don't think I have a hidden skill needing discovery. I just wanna have fun! I just mean I like to dance like you would at a wedding or party...you know...silly and fun. Anywho...thank goodness for Zumba! I have found an outlet.

I remember reading a post on Tesneys blog this time last year about Zumba and how much she loved it. I was curious and certainly talked into it as I read her post. But I didn't have access to a class at the time. But when we moved we joined the local YMCA here in Orlando and it offered Zumba classes. (If you don't know, it's a Latin Dance Class for aerobic exercise.) I would pass by the big window and look into the Zumba class PACKED with women (and some men) of all shapes, sizes and ages breakin' it down to latin music...and wished I was in there. Daisy would always dance when we passed cause the music was so loud she couldn't help herself. :)

Initally, I was intimidated. What if I looked dumb? What if I couldn't do the moves? One day a mom (Andrea) of one of Daisys friends in preschool said she was going to the Zumba class after she dropped off her child (Dean). I decided to give it a try with her. IT WAS SO FUN. Let me just say that my fears melted immediately as I watched a sweet VERY elderly couple shuffle in to the very full class, stand in the middle of the masses and shake and groove best they could for the whole hour. Whoever had reservations about their skills were given new hope as they watched these people. And we all realised that it's about moving around and having fun while exercising...than looking cool or doing it right.


I have met some ladies who regularly attend when I do. We have formed a Zumba sisterhood of sorts. One lady told me that she loves to watch me cause the WHOLE time I have a huge smile on my face. Do you know why??? Cause initially, my body was moving...but it was nothin' like the teachers. And I laugh easily anyway...but this was just hilarity all over the place. I mean I thought I had enough "skill" to keep up or do the moves but just not as cool as her (the teacher). My pride took a little hit as I jiggled, flung limbs, and cha-cha'ed thru the first class. (Not too mention that some of these eh-hmmm moves look better on certain body styles....lets just say those women with full bosom and full backsides..not so much saggy.). And having said that...I am not confident enough in my skills to laugh at others yet...cause I am one of them. BUT sometimes is SO funny to see people who are not even CLOSE to making the same motions as the teacher...but man are they into it. HA. Sometimes we get into this chimmey and tail shaking thing and we have to turn in a circle. This presents 2 problems....1. 3 major movements at once. I need to work up! and 2. Everyone gets to check everyone else out as we rotate! I can no longer hide in the back. The teacher is a real whipper snapper, always wanting us to shake it more, make more latin calling noises or whip our heads around with more umpf. She does tons of belly dancer-ish moves and pelvic motions that are just down right HILARIOUS!

I have thought of MANY MANY of my friends while taking this class. I wish everyone could take this class with me! :) And even though I may leave some one out who I have enjoyed a jig with many times I have to take this opportunity to give some shout outs! Dan (you could do it, and would have fun yelling all the "ey, ey, ey" and breakin' it down with me!), Rachel Warren (like the hip hop class we took...but latin!), Naph (you would LOVE it), Julie, Lolo, Critty, Sarah (just like old times in the dorm), Buh (just like the skating rink...hahahaha), Courtney S (you would be laughing your head off with me...getting the ab work out of a life time), Julie (my sister...like dancin' to the tapes in the Larkie!), Scott (I owe some of my latest skills to you), Mom and Dad (for the coordination and athletic ability you gave me to not be the worst one in the class), Debbie Miller (this would be heaven for you), Glenda (surely you have some salsa in that little body of yours?), kelly wagner (skip the races...run to Zumba!), Sonya (girl, I know you could do it and your arms would be buffer than most mens again!), Aunt Jan (you've always danced with me when the opportunity came up...wish you could come to this class with me!), Schepp (think Vanilla Ice, Latin style), Brittany L (like riding in the little red rodeo!), all my Tanglewood friends (why didnt you teach me this while I lived there??), Jones fam wedding line dancers (this would be a new level for us...but if Dave came...we would all leave with a six pack!). If I have left you out....leave a comment cause honestly....I know I would love to do the class with you too, or atleast think of you and smile as I attempt to live la vida loca in that class. :)

9 comments:

torinem said...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this! They actually just started a class at the Y here in town (we finally joined!). I have been going to Karlton's class with Melanie and Erin (until she had her baby a few weeks ago, that girl was nuts in there up until like a week before the kid was born!). Anyhow, they were all talking about this on Friday and I was thinking about trying it! Sounds fun, though, I will probably jiggle a bit more than you :)

Christy said...

Awe!! Thanks for thinking of me! Brings back sooo many hilarious memories! Do you remember that rap song "Thats Right"We used to love? It made me think of that. It sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know if they have that here. I'm sure they do, just never heard anyone mention it before. I'm not sure if I would do it anyway since I'm not an awesome dancer like you!!!! Well just wanted to say hey & I miss you. I'm coming down there the last week in Feb. For mardi gras again so maybe we can get together or something. Hope to hear from you soon.
Critty

Jessica said...

i like to dance too. in broad daylight, with my kids. we bust some serious moves. glad the neighbors aren't looking, or my husband....cause it's a dance party at my house pretty much everyday. Charlie can hear music in the grocery store, and we're dancin'.....i LOVE to dance! glad to hear i'm not alone!
ps. i need to email you for some motherly advice...

torinem said...

Yeah, I realized after I posted that that you might not even know Erin was pregnant! She had a baby girl, Anna Katherine (I think they are calling her Anna Kate) on December 29th. She and Melanie Van...something I don't know how to spell...have been going for awhile I guess and I just started about 2 months ago. Erin stuck through the class up until the very end. She said she was motivated by seeing you in there when you were pregnant with Isacc!

Anonymous said...

That is definitely a craze here at our local Y too! You know people are really serious if they wear those coin skirts while taking the class. I have even seen bumper stickers that say "Zumba changed my wife!" haha :)

ashley wyatt

amber said...

So I was getting excited about trying out Zumba until you crushed my spirit saying that "it was like the skating rink" and you KNOW that I CAN'T roller skate. So, thank you for reminding me of my horrible roller skating and dancing skills. I guess Zumba won't be in my future.

btw, my kids are fine and thankfully didn't have what I thought they did!!

Baby Hayden's Blog said...

oh my gosh! We had a zumba instructor come to mops a few weeks ago and everyone (except women about to give birth) did some zumba. It was fun!

Brittany said...

I love it! Sounds like a blast. I'm not sure they would let me into a Zumba class...all the excess jiggling might frighten the other patrons!:) It's so funny when I think back of the music we use to listen to. It either had the phrase, "My Boo" or "Baby's Daddy" in it. We were pure gangsta weren't we Antoine!

Love ya,
Bianca

sonyagraykey said...

You are so funny! I would LOVE to come Zumba with you! We don't have any bootie shakin' classes here in Macomb. But that does remind me of Gator Funk, you, Sarah, & whoever else we could talk into going. :) Do you remember the instructor with the raspy voice who always wore the Mr. T starter kit? She was da Bomb. :) Miss you!