Wednesday, September 9

Grocery Trip with kids

This is a regular occurrence. Soon this Publix will and all the employees will know us as well as the ones in Gainesville and Orlando. We dive for the car or rocket carts if one is available. Those are genius...hemming up kids and they love it. You do need a special license to drive one...swing it wide on corners and spend the whole first time you drive it apologizing to all who you (try to) pass and or come with in 6 feet of. Thankfully I had some experience with stretchers in my nursing days or I would have been hopeless. But a couple of early Tuesday morning runs got me well practiced in a somewhat empty store.

It also does not help that I have 2 octopus ("octopi"..?...plural?) in the cart GRABBING at everything...even others belongings (Isaac grabbed a ladies purse once...like "thank you, I'll take that" as I leisurely strolled by looking the other way. She prob thought we were a gypsy fam that practiced this little bit of purse theft!). Well...on to why I posted to begin with (I could go on all day about adventures of grocery shopping with kids.)

...I got home from the store and I unpacked THIS.




Now, I am not a snobby eater. I love MOST food. I have only been a seafood fan since I married Daniel and he made me try more things. I like some but I am a little skittish (sp?) about it. I don't like it for left overs (freaks me out for some reason) and I FOR SURE don't like FAKE seafood. Read below for the part that really got me....



Can of Seafood? Blech. What does that even mean? Can of "seafood"? ugh...It will not be tried at our house.

Daisy has been wanting to walk at the store. I usually ask her to stay in the cart so we don't have to hear Isaac scream about wanting to walk too. But this trip I said, "If you will help me put things in the cart, then you can walk." So she was helping. I would point to what to get and she would put it in. I even passed on a little of my grocery cart packing skills (which are REQUIRED on a big trip with the Rocket cart). It's a fine science. I pride myself on small things in this sometimes mind numbing world of SAHM (stay-at-home-mom). She did well. She also will be a Pro grocery cart packer someday. :) But apparently I pointed and she picked up...and there was a break down in communication. We will work on our precision in this area for our next trip.

6 comments:

David & Eryn said...

I am currently in my Research class...zzzzzz...and I guffawed out loud a little bit (when I got to the picture of the paella and tried to pass it off as a cough). At least it wasn't a swipe on your way out the door and you had to go back to the store saying "my child shoplifted this! Which would have been muy (sp?) embarrassing!

Cristie said...

Congrats on the baby girl! The grocery post is hilarious.

Phil and Judy Hoggard said...

i had an old boyfriend put a bottle of wine in Nanny's cart one time and she didnt realize it until the cashier had already rung it up. She about died!! Hilarious!

Paul&Julie said...

That is awesome! Publix will be offering Daisy a job in no time. so funny

SuZQ said...

So funny. I once read a story where this lady's kids grabbed pokeman cards (of which she knew nothing about) put them in her cart, she paid for them then when she got home she realized they were there. She then wrote up this hilarious story about how they got into her cart and her shopping trip, put them up for auction on EBAY and got a ridiculous amount of money for each one in the pack all because her story was just hilarious.

sonyagraykey said...

I am loling & OH, I needed to laugh right now, Mel! I love you so much, my fellow mom! btw, congrats, hugs & kisses on the new girl! I promise, as we were on the LONG flight over & chatting about all things, I said, "I think Mel's having a girl. Just like I though Zora was a girl. Same feeling." So, congrats & let us know when you begin the name selection process...I'm glad I don't have to agree with my hubby over that again! :)